WHAT IS A CSA? HOW DOES YOURS WORK? DO I NEED TO BE A “MEMBER”?
Originally, CSA stood for “Community Supported Agriculture” and while it still does, the concept and optionality has been modernized to better suit the needs of today’s consumer. Developed in the 1960’s in Japan, CSA programs are designed to build a relationship between the farmer and community. CSA Subscribers (that’s you) buy shares in the farms output before the season starts, and then reap the benefits of the harvest each week as the season progresses.
The Weaver Acres CSA is like none other in the area, by purchasing ahead of the season our subscribers are guaranteed a share of the produce grown here on the farm. You are not required to be a member of The Farm Store to participate in our CSA but membership does have its benefits. Our subscribers shop with a system of points at the Farm Store each week and fill their share with qualifying CSA Vegetables and Fruits of their choosing (meats, dairy and other items not included). That means, as a subscriber you get the opportunity to spend 5-15 points per week on whatever you like – which translates to a retail value of 16.50-49.50 “Points” are simply the Unit “Price” applied to items in the store – for Members that do not pre-purchase our CSA we offer an a la carte shopping option, points are charged at a rate of $3.30 each. CSA Products available in addition to our produce include but are not limited to local eggs, local mushrooms, as well as certain seasonal items produced both locally and regionally (i.e. Blueberries, Sweet Corn, Watermelons, Pumpkins, WNC Apples, and even peaches and peanuts from not too far away!)
On Sale Now! Spring/Summer CSA Shares for 2021
- Half Share (100 points to use for Weaver Acres Produce at the Farm Store – 5 points or approximately $16.50 in value per week for 20 weeks starting April 12th). $320 a $330 value! Good Value, an appropriate size share for households of 1-2 who tend to eat locally and cook at home a few times per week.
- Full Share (200 points to use for Weaver Acres Produce at the Farm Store – 10 points or approximately $33 in value per week for 20 weeks starting April 12th). $620 a $660 value! Great Value, perfect for households of 2-4 who eat plenty of fresh veggies, or who also purchase eggs, fruit and mushrooms occasionally. Members that use their points for other products in The Farm Store will find this plan to be an excellent value.
- Family Share (XL) (300 points to use for Weaver Acres Produce at the Farm Store – 15 points or approximately $49.50 in value per week for 20 weeks starting April 12th). $900 a $990 value – Best Value, great for households of 4 or more that also purchase eggs, fruit and mushrooms on a regular basis. Members with larger households that use their points for other products in The Farm Store will find this plan to be the best value.
WHAT WE GROW-Spring/Summer: Spring Mix, Head Lettuce, Spinach, Arugula, Carrots, Beets, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Flowers, Garlic, Green Beans, Herbs, Kale, Melons, Napa Cabbage, Onions, Pac Choi, Peas, Peppers, Potatoes, Radishes, Scallions, Summer Squash/Zucchini, Swiss Chard, Tomatoes, Turnips and more
Claim your spot and reserve your produce today for our main season, 20 week CSA!! Pick-up begins the week of April 12th and ends the week of 8/23. Our Spring and Summer CSA includes a great deal of diversity and spans offers the best of what both spring and Summer have to offer. Below are many items you will see throughout the course of the season.
There are other benefits to supporting local farms and CSA programs. As consumers, we have become accustomed to buying fruits and vegetables shipped from all over the world, regardless of the season. This is a waste of resources and energy. This also means that food is harvested before it has ripened in order to make the journey. This long journey sacrifices the nutritional value and flavor of the produce. By choosing locally grown food, you ensure that you are eating the freshest, most nutrient dense and best tasting food possible and being environmentally responsible at the same time.
MAIN SEASON CSA SHARE:
- Choose a Half, Full or Family Size Share with 100-300 points to use across 20 weeks from April 12th until the end of August
- $620) or a Half Share with 100 points (20 weeks for $320).
- Our Main Spring/Summer CSA runs from mid-April through the end of August/first of September
- We recommend
- Members receive
WHAT YOU CAN LOOK FORWARD TO:
Each CSA participant will enjoy a share of fresh, locally produced fruits, vegetables, microgreens(at times) and herbs (depending on availability). Our carefully selected varieties and growing practices bring out the very best in flavor and nutrition. Produce is harvested when it is ripe, just before you receive it. You can enjoy peace of mind knowing that everything is grown using natural and organic methods and inputs. We never use chemicals, synthetic pesticides or herbicides on any of our crops.
We will send out sporadic newsletters throughout the harvest season, filled with updates, ideas, recipes, cooking tips and current info from the farm. CSA subscribers can also look forward to exclusive farm tours, events and opportunities to volunteer and learn about how their food is grown. We want our members to have a fully immersed experience to give them a true understanding of our farm and how their food is grown. We are growing for you and our community!
We offer weekly shares available for pickup here on the farm. A sample of a CSA share might include: a bag of lettuce mix, a bunch of carrots, a head of romaine lettuce, a bunch of beets, a bunch of kale, green onions, and snap peas. Our members also have the option of adding a number of other products, fresh-cut flowers and herbs to each CSA pick up.
WHAT WE GROW:
Arugula, Beets, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrots, Collard Greens, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Flowers, Fennel, Garlic, Green Beans, Herbs, Kale, Lettuce, Melons, Onions, Peppers, Potatoes, Radishes, Scallions, Spinach, Summer Squash/Zucchini, Salad Mix, Sweet Potatoes, Swiss Chard, Tomatoes, Turnips, Winter Squash
PICK UP DAYS & LOCATIONS:
WEAVER ACRES FARM 5265 KERLEY RD. DURHAM